Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Playing the Grim Reaper

I was the scourge of pet rat society yesterday.

Being a rattie enthusiast and having gone a few years without having had any in the house, it's understandable that it was an exciting day when Kath & Kim came to live with us three weeks ago. They are an adorable pair of caramel coloured sisters and are a total joy - very tame, very snuggly.

With one small hitch - I realised last week, to my dismay, that Kath was pregnant. I was very firm about only wanting TWO rats. I had nowhere to raise babies until weaning day, nor the inclination, as much as I love them.

Kath gave birth to ten or eleven wriggling little thumbs on Monday afternoon and I found myself in a moral dilemma about whether to keep them or send them to rattie heaven. I choose the latter and disposed of them yesterday - very quick, very unmessy.

Then I realised I would make a totally hopeless serial killer, as the remorse I felt afterwards was unimaginable. It was as if I'd killed a CHILD... I felt terrible. The practical side of me was telling the bleeding heart to shut up; it was painless and had to be done.

However - I discovered that I am a fantastic liar: "I took them to the petshop in Petone, darling... yes yes, they have full nursing facilities until they're old enough to be weaned."

1 comment:

Violet said...

I don't have any fondness for rats, but I suppose killing baby anythings would be hard to do. Unless it was baby cockroaches or something.