Friday, July 08, 2005

Jobs I would hate to do - part 1

The parking warden for our Council came over sometime last week and joined the smokers outside for morning tea. She informed us that she had handed in her resignation, saying that "four years of bullshit" was quite enough for her and she was off for a nice, quiet career at Pak n Save. She regaled us with tales of being stalked, threatened, spat on and abused by members of the public incensed with being issued an infringement notice.

So lo and behold, imagine our dismay at being told yesterday that she was off work for a few days after being set upon by two women for giving them a ticket. Said women had been apprehended, arrested and charged with assault.

Although I am guilty for muttering "bitch" under my breath on a couple of occasions - when I hadn't managed to outwit her with my sneaky 'change car parks every 2 hours' trick - I was more brassed off at getting caught than I was with getting the actual ticket. So the moralist in me was quite angry at the NERVE of these people, abusing someone for doing their job when it was THEY who were in the wrong in the first place!

I wouldn't have the temperament for her job - I would have half of my day taken up with tickings off from higher-ups for yelling obscenities back at the public if they chose to question my parking authority (muahaha!).

So maybe it's a good thing that today's children probably know more swear-words than me.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Who'd be a parking warden, eh? It's bad enough having to take shit from people who blame you for charging them overdue book fines.